John Henderson Real Estate

2406 Gold Coast Highway Mermaid Beach

07 5572 8011

07 5572 0176

Contact us





Care & Cleaning Expectations

Misplaced Keys

Hand Holding Set of KeysIf you have misplaced your keys during business hours you may come to our office, pay a deposit of $50 and borrow our office set. The deposit will be refunded once all keys have been returned.

If you have misplaced your keys after hours, you may call a locksmith to assist you back into the property. This is at the tenant cost.

IMPORTANT! Most modern window flyscreens can only be removed fromthe inside of the property. Attempting to remove them from the outside will result in damage tothe flyscreen frame work, and will result in the flyscreen having to be repaired or replaced at your cost. This may cost more than what it would cost to have a locksmith attend the property to allow you access back in.

Property Damage

If property damage has occurred you are obligated to let us know immediately, or on the next business day if occurring on a weekend or public holiday.


Woman Shouting with Bullhorn

It is important to note that the utmost care must be taken to ensure that you do not infringe on disrupting your neighbours with noise. Loud music, parties or otherwise can disrupt a neighbour’s right to peace and the quiet enjoyment of their residence.

In the case of units and apartments, particular care must be taken with respect to noise due to the close proximity of other properties, usually located on the other side ofthewall. This also includes your obligation to ensure that your visitors are not disrupting neighbours when walking from your premises to their parked vehicles. A notice will be issued and can lead to eviction if formal complaints are made.

Air conditioners

Please, regularly clean any filters and intake vents to ensure there is no build up of dirt and dust, and that the unit is able to draw in air effectively, not hindering performance, or in the worse case scenario, causing the unit to breakdown resulting in costly repairs and/or replacement. Please also note that if an air conditioner breaks down due to filters and vents not being kept clean, costs to rectify the damage or even replace the unit might be charged to tenants.


Please ensure any combustion heaters are kept clean of ash build up, and also ensure a protective mat is placed in front of the heater to protect against coals and ash falling out and singeing/damaging carpets or floors.

For other heaters, please ensure that no combustible or flammable material is placed on or near heaters to avoid a fire risk.


If the property you are renting has a fireplace, this cannot be used unless you have been given permission from us in writing. Sometimes these are ornamental, or the flue/chimney has been blocked up. Using them could cause a fire to occur.

If this is the case, please ensure a spark catcher is used at all times in front of the fire to protect carpets and flooring from coal burns and ash damage.

Pot Plants

Please keep pot plants outside the property at all times. Pot plants placed inside on hard surfaces, tiles and floors like lino, may leave a circular indent, stains and damage. Pot plants placed on carpet areas run the risk of carpet rot underneath, should moisture overflow or escape even with plates and containers placed underneath to attempt to prevent this.


Should you have an aquarium you must advise us so this can be placed on your lease.

Like pot plants, aquarium stands can leave rust marks to floors and can cause carpet rot if placed on carpets. Furthermore, if placed on carpets the weight of the aquarium filled with water may cause permanent indentations and damage in the base of the carpet pile.

Strict No Smoking Policy

All properties have a strict ‘no smoking inside’ policy. If tenants still choose to smoke inside the propertythey will be responsible for specialised cleaning and deodorising of the inside of the property to reduce and eliminate unpleasant smoke odours. This can easily run into the hundreds of dollars, and is charged to the tenant.

Tenant Painting

Man and woman painting wall.It is company policy that tenants do not paint any part of the propertythemselves. We have found in the past that some tenants have not painted the property to a professional standard, resulting in a professional painter being called in to rectify work. It is a policy that any painting can only be carried out by experienced, professional painters with our written permission.

Fixtures and Fittings

If you wish to install or remove any fixtures or fittings, you must request this beforehand in writing.

Smoke Alarms

Should you believe for any reason the smoke alarm(s) installed are not working or the batteries are not functioning, please let us know immediately. Protect your safety by being vigilant and report to us any issues, to ensure your safety in the case of a fire.

Picture Hooks

If you wish to install any new picture hooks, please let us know in writing what type of hooks you wish to use. Please assess the type of walls that are in the property, and the type of picture hooks that are suitable. We will let you know in writing before you are permitted to install appropriate picture hooks.

Washing Curtains

Most curtains and netting are machine washable but it is vitally important that this be established before any washing occurs. Drapes may only be suitable for dry cleaning, so please check all labels first. Sun damaged, brittle curtains or netting may disintegrate shouldthey be machine washed, so it is best to check the strength of fabric by gently tugging onthematerial with your fingers. If the material easily pulls apart in your fingers, the material is unsuitable for washing.

House Cracking and Movement

Please let us know if you notice any cracks to walls, ceilings and movement. If cracks were in place when you moved in, please let us know if you notice them worsening or growing larger. Please either report these in writing or point them out to us at the routine inspection.


Termites will quickly eat through a property and can cause extensive damage. Signs like wood becoming brittle (doorways, skirting boards, wood roof beams etc). Sounding hollow when tapped or knocked and/or with the presence of mud deposits are the tell-tale signs of termites, other than obvious signs of seeing termites themselves. Another warning sign inside can be blistering/lifting paint to inside walls, as they are known to eat away the paper backing to gyprock walls, allowing the plaster to crumble away allowing the termites to come to the wall surface, staying just under the paint lining.

Wood lying around outside and even wooden furniture outside can attract and encourage them. Dripping outdoor taps next to the house can also cause damp and favourable conditions for termites to be attracted.

If you see any signs of termites, or termite damage please bring this to our attention immediately.

General Cleaning

household cleaner with rubber gloves bucket and sponge..




It is expected that the property be kept reasonably clean, and this is also a tenancy agreement requirement.

Pay particular attention to:

a)    Walls, switches, power points, skirtings, doors and doorways – please keep these free from marks and dirty finger marks.

b)    Cobwebs/dusting – please remove cobwebs to windows, walls and ceilings. Keep vents dusted. Light fittings and ceiling fans – keep them dusted regularly.

c)    Curtains/blinds – keep these cleaned, dusted and also (if suitable) machine or dry clean curtains and netting on an annual basis.

d)    Windows/sills/window tracks and flyscreens – keep regularly cleaned and dusted. Please note most modern windows are easily removed from their tracks by liftingthe sliding window up at the bottom, and pulling this out for easy cleaning.

e)    Floors – please keep regularly swept and mopped. Floors in the kitchen and wet areas may need to be scrubbed to keep surfaces, tiles and grouting looking clean.

f)     Ventilation – please ensure that all rooms are kept adequately ventilated to avoid problems associated with condensation, causing mould and possible health problems.

g)     Wet Areas, bathroom, toilet and laundry grouting/tiles – please ensure all tiles are kept free from grime, soap scum and mould.

Carpet Cleaning

All carpets need to be cleaned on a six to twelve month basis, simply because of general living. The best time is after winter or at the end of a wet period.

We recommend professional steam cleaning and we do not recommend the use of ‘do-it-yourself’ hire machines. These machines lack the ability to adequately withdraw soapy water the machine may have squirted in. Sometimes it is tempting to not have the carpets cleaned on vacating because they have been used only minimally, and some rooms hardly used at all.

We liken this type of situation to borrowing a shirt. Even if we may have worn this for only an hour and not a full day, it is expected that it be returned clean. It is the same for carpets as the next tenants taking possession also need to have clean carpets so this expectation can be transferred tothem.

On vacating you are required to present a receipt to show the carpets have been professionally cleaned.

In the Kitchen

Chopping Boards

Please ensure chopping boards are used on bench tops, so that bench tops are preserved from unnecessary cut marks and associated damage.

Bench-top Joins

Be on the lookout for joins in the bench-top that have gaps, and the surface laminate has started to bulge or lift at a join. Please let us know if this is starting to occur as this may indicate moisture has seeped into a join, and is swelling the chipboard wood underneath.


Be sure that if you notice grouting or silicone sealing coming off/loose around any tiles near or around the taps and/or taps dripping/leaking to let us know by repair request. If moisture should get in between tiles, this can damage the wall behind, and even seep into chipboard that is usually present in bench tops causing swelling and irreversible damage tothewood.

Oven and Stove Tops

Please ensure that stove tops, grillers and ovens are kept free of burnt on food. Food, crumbs and spills when left long enough become burnt on, blackened and carbonised, making them very difficult to remove.

Please use care when using scourers as these may scratch and damage enamel surfaces. When cleaning stoves/ovens use a spray-on oven cleaner. Be sure to read and follow the product instructions carefully, as even though these types of products are very effective, they tend to contain harmful caustic fumes and require rubber gloves to be worn at all times when using the product. Please also check that the product is suitable to the type of surface you are applying this to, as some surfaces like stainless steel may become permanently marred/stained using an oven cleaner.

Exhaust Fans/Vents and Range hoods

Please ensure any vents and range hood filters are kept clean.

Ensure the exhaust fan cover is clean and kept free of grime build up. From time to time these should be taken down and removed to be soaked in hot soapy water, and then scrubbed clean. Please use extreme caution when removing these. If you believe this is unsafe (i.e. a high exhaust fan),then let us know so we can discuss this with the owner.


Most cupboards and drawers are lined with white lining, which is great for easy cleaning. However substances spilled like sauces will in time prove difficult to remove and may leave permanent stains. Cupboard shelving, doors, doorframes and inside drawers/cutlery tidies should be cleaned at least on an annual basis. Also keep food in sealable containers to avoid insects and vermin gaining access to food and breeding and also creating a disease risk from germs, faeces and urine.


Dishwashers provided as part of your tenancy need to be cleaned on a regular basis, and any build up of food remains removed.

In the Wet Areas- Bathroom, Toilet and Laundry

Shower Screens

If you notice cracking to glass in shower screens or shower doors please report this to us immediately. Wired shower screen glass can crack under thermal expansion (consistent hot and cold temperatures) where as toughened glass usually only cracks if impacted (hit by something). If the shower screen is cracked due to impact damage, this will in most cases need to be paid by the tenant.

Blocked sinks/drains

Should a sink or basin become blocked, first try a drain cleaning product like draino. Be sure to follow the product instructions carefully. If the sink or basin is still blocked after treatment, please let us know so we can arrange for a plumber to attend to the problem.

Foreign objects down drains

Please take care not to allow children to place toys or other items down drains. If your property has a septic tank system, please do not flush foreign objects like sanitary products down the toilet. Septic tank systems are not able to process this type of material.

If a plumber is employed by us to clear pipes, drains, basins or sinks and it is determined that the blockage was caused by something considered foreign, this expense will be billed to the tenant for payment.

Loose tiles

Should you notice loose tiles to walls, the shower recess or to tiles over the laundry trough etc, please be sure to let us know.

Wall water damage

Should you notice water damage to a wall adjacent to a shower recess, bathroom basin etc please let us know immediately. This can be identified by bubbling or peeling paint, or even water or mould marks to the flooring/carpet. This usually identifies either loose tiles or a broken/leaking pipe in the wall, and will need attending to immediately to prevent further damage from occurring.

Taps leaking

Please report any taps leaking either from a tap head or tap handles. This includes washing machine taps. Sometimes washing machine taps will leak only when connected to automatic washing machine hoses as the tap water pressure exposes leakage in the taps.

Toilets leaking

Water trickling or leaking into the bowl from the cistern usually indicates a worn cistern washer and needs to be fixed by a plumber. Water left to trickle into the bowl continuously may inflate your water bill and therefore needs to be reported to us when noticed. Also leaking may occur to the tap behind the toilet.

Hot water system leaks

Should you notice the hot water service leaking from the valve or from the base of the unit please let us know. The leaking valve is usually fixable by a plumber, however water leaking from the base of a water storage unit usually indicates the unit has rusted through and may need replacement in the near future.

Water Restrictions

Metal Faucet



It is important for you to be aware of what water restrictions are in place for theregion. For up to date water restriction information please log onto  .

Watering Your Garden and Water Restrictions

Watering your lawns and gardens must be done within watering restrictions; however we insist that watering is conducted to the maximum allowed by the restrictions in place. What we do not want is watering not done at all because of a wrong belief that a total watering ban is in place. Watering is still required unless the current water restriction has banned all forms of watering.

Watering Systems

Please ensure that all watering systems are working properly, and are checked regularly throughout the tenancy to ensure they continue to work effectively. Watering systems can only be used should current water restrictions allow.

Weeding and Shrub Trimming

Weeding of gardens beds, inside lawns, paths, paving and other outside areas are the responsibility of the tenant. Trimming of bushes and shrubs in and around the garden are also the responsibility of the tenant.

Lawn Maintenance

Please ensure that lawns are regular mowed and edged, keeping them neat and tidy. Should you wish to have someone regularly mow your lawn, let us know and we would be happy to recommend a service to you. This is at tenant cost.

mowing the lawn



Supplied Hoses/Fittings

Supplied hoses, fittings and accessories must be kept in good condition and please ensure that everything is returned and in place upon vacating of the property, free of any damage.


Please ensure any rubbish is regularly removed fromtheproperty. This includes car parts, tyres and things like lawn clippings, drink bottles as well as other items that can easily be considered rubbish or general junk.

Formal household rubbish and waste must only be placed inside rubbish containers (i.e. wheelie bins) and removed weekly from the property, or otherwise as required. This cannot be allowed to accumulate.

Please log onto for details of bin collection for your area.

Oil Drippage

Any cars parked on driveways, under carports and garages must have a drip tray placed underneath. Only if the vehicle does not drip any oil at all is a drip tray not required. Please also note that any visitor’s cars must be parked off the premises if they drip oil. Should oil drippage occur at anytime, this must be cleaned up immediately to prevent oil seeping in and permanently staining. Please note any permanent staining will result in compensation or costly cleaning/repairs being charged to the tenant.




Parking on Lawns/Gardens

It is important that at no time can cars or any type of vehicle be parked on any lawns, gardens or any area not created for, or designated as a vehicle parking area. Damage to lawns and landscaping can be costly. Engine oil drippage to gardens and lawns will also create permanent damage to the soil area, being costly to rectify. Any damage of this type will be charged to tenants in full.

Swimming Pools and Outdoor Spas

If the property you are renting has a swimming pool and spa please pay attention to the following.

Pool/Spa Cleaning




Pool/spa cleaning and maintenance, unless it is agreed thatthelandlord will be supplying a regular cleaning and maintenance service as per your tenancy agreement, this will be a tenant responsibility.

Please note that if regular cleaning does not occur by the tenant, high costs can be incurred to bring it back to its original clean state. If this occurs, this will be at tenant cost. It is also a tenant responsibility to ensure that the pool/spa is kept topped up with water, and must not empty the pool/spa without written approval from us.

Any damage to the pool & equipment from lack of cleaning/maintenance will be charged to the tenant.

Supply of Pool Chemicals

Supplying of pool treatment chemicals will be a tenant responsibility, at tenant cost.

Pool/Spa covers, accessories, equipment and pool furniture

It is the responsibility of the tenant to maintain and keep in good condition any accessories, cleaning and maintenance equipment. This also includes any outdoor/pool furniture supplied. Pool cleaning/equipment must be kept out of the sun and stored responsibly. Supplied pool/spa covers must be neatly rolled or folded up and stored away out of the weather when not in use to preserve its lifespan and usefulness.

Pool/Spa Fences and Gates

We must be notified immediately if fences and gates are not functioning correctly, and the gate fails to self-close promptly when opened. State pool/spa regulations must be kept at all times.

These regulations can be found at

Pets at the Property

Pets of any kind are not permitted in any of our rental properties, including guest pets. If a pet is found at your property you may be found in breach of your lease agreement and you will be required to provide a receipt of an internal and external flea treatment by our preferred pest controller.

Face of Dog



Bond Changing Tenants & Changes of Tenants

Anyone vacating the property is required to provide us with written notice. Anyone looking to move into the property must complete a full application and this must be approved by our office prior to moving into the property.

Should permission be granted for tenants to change/transfer during a tenancy agreement,then the outgoing tenant must liaise and arrange with the incoming tenant to be paid their share of the bond lodged. Please ensure that you then liaise with us for any transfer of names required on the original bond lodged with the bond authority.


Subletting is not permitted without written approval from us. This includes assigning the tenancy over to a third party, or allowing other occupants to move in without our express permission. Permission involves a formal application being completed and submitted by the prospective tenant/occupant.

Property for Residential Use Only

The property is for residential use and can only be used a place of dwelling unless otherwise agreed in writing by us. The property cannot be used for commercial, industrial or illegal purposes. The use of the property cannot breach local council zoning regulations and also cannot be in breach of the law.

Copyright © 2018 Professionals Real Estate  |  Privacy Policy & Disclaimer  |  Made in Melbourne by iProperty